P Harrison & Co Ltd

About us

based on recollections by J. Ridgeway

P Harrions & Co, Clitheroe, LancashireFred Harrison was brought up in Bradford and spent 11 years as a tyre distributor before, during 1937, moving to Sawley Road in Chatburn, to start his own business.  Accommodation was sparse at Sawley Road and so, (as can be seen from photographs from the time), much of the tyre fitting had to take place at the road side.

In order to publicise his business and without any modern promotional aids, Fred would set off each Monday, by train, bound for Skipton market.  With a tyre on each shoulder, he (‘tirelessly!) promoted his company to local farmers and merchants.  The hard work paid dividends and in 1942, his son, Peter joined the ever expanding firm.

Growth of the business brought the need for larger premises –at close by White’s Barn.  The company diversified further with plans for a petrol filling station and it also undertook conveyor belt repairs, as well as the soling and heeling of wellingtons!  Things were moving fast and tyre requirements were becoming more sophisticated.  Consequently and always at the forefront in their chosen trade, Harrisons became one of the first in the area to offer wheel balancing as part of the service.

Today, the company is still family owned – since 1993, by the Townson family - and our service continues to extend to all sections of the community. The backbone of the business is, though, the local farming fraternity and with our quality products and services, we, at Harrison’s always ensure that our farming clients are equipped to:

.........make hay while the sun shines!

Stockists of:

MaxxisMichelinToyo Tires